The tomb of the lord of Milan from 1329 to 1339 is visible in the apse of the church of San Gottardo in Corte and is the work of Giovanni di Balduccio, one of the Tuscan masters of the late Gothic, already present in Milan with the ark made for Pigello Portinari in Sant'Eustorgio.
Before and after
The canopied monument rests on two columns by means of shelves. On the lower side of the sarcophagus the Visconti snake is sculpted, while on the front there are the statues of the armed Lombard cities, represented by their respective patron saints, who pay homage to Saint Ambrose, under whom Azzone had unified the future duchy of Milan: to the feet of Sant'Ambrogio, Azzone Visconti receives the investiture from Ludovico il Bavaro; Duke of Bavaria, Rex Romanorum and Holy Roman Emperor. On the upper side of the sarcophagus there is the statue of Azzone lying down, flanked by two angels holding the funeral curtain. The different style of the statue of Azzone would suggest Balduccio, while the other parts would have been made in his workshop.
Completed restoration operations
Mechanical-manual cleaning and removal process of dull, encrustations, repainting or layers adhering to the paint film with a scalpel.
Process of re-establishing the cohesion of the pictorial film.
Removal of substances such as oils, paints, waxes, by applying solvents.
Grouting and reintegration of plaster gaps.
Pictorial integration of the decorations. The glazing aims to reproduce, in a non-mimetic but distinguishable way, the original primer deduced from the analysis of the dominant characteristics of the painted surface.
Chromatic abstraction. Glazing with watercolors and natural pigments using brushes to restore the chromatic reading.
Protection operation of the surfaces in marmorino and marble polished with wax.