Before and after
The abbey was built, by the will of the Doria family, in the thirteenth century on the southern side of an older building of which the cloister and a few other elements remain. During the course of history the building underwent several important structural changes such as the addition of a floor in 1100. In the 16th century the square-shaped watchtower was built instead, which stands out over the bay. Particularly interesting is the Byzantine dome decorated with 17 small stone arches and the large octagonal tower. The abbey was later abandoned by the monks and used as a residence.
The intervention aimed to preserve as much as possible the patina created on the stone surface that over time has given a golden hue to the originally gray ashlars and to preserve the different mortars that have been used over the years to compensate the joints and plasters affected by phenomena of erosion and disintegration.
We can summarize the restoration operations carried out in:
Cleaning with water and brushes
Integration of gaps and cracks with compatible mortars
Color balance of surfaces
Video documentation of site logistics. Transport of materials useful for restoration operations.