The Doria Tower, also known as the Torre di Scopello, is an ancient stone tower that was part of a system of lookouts and defensive towers built along the coast of what was the Kingdom of Sicily, to protect it from pirate attacks. A testimony to this day watches over the bay and fascinates with its majesty.
Before and after
The Doria Tower is isolated in an elevated position not far from the monumental complex of San Fruttuoso. Dedicated to Andrea Doria, it was erected in August 1562 along the road that connects the abbey to the fishermen's village in a steep staircase. It was built in compliance with the patronage clause granted by Pope Julius III to Andrea Doria in 1551 to defend the village and its providential source of water, used by the monks, from any raids by Barbary pirates. Two sides on the Tower depics on the Doria coat of arms, the imperial eagle, while other decorations are visible on the frames and the corbels. Its particular “military” type architectural structure reaches a height of about 22 meters above ground, for a total altitude of 43.42 meters above sea level.
An accurate diagnostic campaign was essential to get to know the materials, executive methods and characteristics of the building in depth, so as to be able to calibrate the restoration intervention, which was carried out trying to keep as much as possible the scarce evidence of the original finishes. recovering them through the removal of deposits of various kinds and to mend the portions of plaster still in good condition with those where it was necessary to compensate for the facing. An attempt was then made to give greater readability to the decorations present, in particular to the coats of arms and to the top band where the masks and the triumphs frescoes were notably faded.
We can summarize the operations carried out in:
Cleaning with water and brushes
Cleaning with compresses and neutral detergent
Integration of gaps and cracks with compatible mortars
Chromatic balancing of the monochrome surfaces and precise pictorial retouching of the frescoed parts