top of page

ST. GEORGE
ROVAGNATE

The architecture, with simple, decorative lines, is composed of precious materials that work the frames of the upper tympanum and the capitals, created from a precious granite and framed by an ancient mosaic. The bell tower is atypical for its orientation, rotated with respect to the façade, built in the upper part in granite, where a spire formed by four volutes stands out and the lower one in plaster.

Technical tables

Photographic archive

Before and after

THE PARISH

The dedication of the Parish Church of S. Giorgio Martire, located on a hill, dates back to early medieval times, although the Church is without documentation until the year 1420. Compared to the Church, since the sixteenth century, the rather high bell tower stood in the cemetery in front of it. and with a rotated direction, so much so as to make historians suppose that on the hill there was a lookout also for military purposes. In the parish archive there is no precise date of the year of foundation of the parish, only one written by the coadjutor Sac. Ambrogio Tentorio of 1873 notes that there was a plaque placed on the facade of the ancient church that bore the inscription: San Georgi M. Dicatum 1420 Consacratum 1540 Instauratum 1771.

IMG_9767 (Copy).JPG

STATE OF FACT

The surfaces and the artifacts that make up the surfaces of the bell tower were affected by evident degradation phenomena. Surface erosion of plasters, surface deposits, stains, washouts, patinas, laying of cement patches.

Specifically, it turned out:

- that the surfaces were affected by leaching and infiltration phenomena;

- most of the metal elements and the irons were oxidized;

- washouts and iron oxides have allowed the formation of large stains and drips on the external surfaces;

- there were numerous cementitious patches, in particular the restyling of the joints;

- different parts of the stone elements were found in detachment or fractured;

- surface erosion of plastered surfaces;

- micro cracks on the walls.

IMG_1545 (Copy).JPG

FACADE

The most important operations that have been carried out on the main facade of the church primarily concern the application of the biocide , the cleaning process carried out using a low pressure cleaner, dry micro-abrasive with Garnet 120 mesh of the stone sections, with subsequent treatment with application of a consolidant based on ethyl silicate to restore the correct cohesion, which has been lost over time especially in those areas subject to constant washout and greater exposure to atmospheric agents, after which pivoting with stainless steel threaded bars of detaching portions were performed of the capitals and corners of the top tympanum and of the portal which were crossed by deep cracks and were unsafe and support armours were created for the integration of overhanging elements, such as the angular volutes of the capitals or the heads of angels to allow obtain a perfectly solid reconstruction le with the support. to mend the surface where the material was missing or abraded, while the additions to the stone were made with mortar specially formulated to imitate the lithotype (MALTA ARENARIA - Calchera San Giorgio). In the basement area, an intervention was carried out to remove the old plaster limited to the left corner area, followed by the creation of a new layer of plaster with suitable characteristics to stem the phenomenon of rising damp. As regards the chromatic balance, the surface required a very diluted preparation coat (KONTACT PLUS - KEIM) in order to
make the surface homogeneous and neutralize the very bright shades previously applied, which interfered with the application of lighter and more transparent colors. The wooden main entrance door has also been restored. the surface was cleaned by removing the brown paint present with sandpaper of different grain sizes and then with repeated passages of water and ammonia worked with steel wool and abrasive cloths to degrease the surface. At the end of this phase, the cracks were integrated with wooden strips and the gaps were filled with pigmented two-component epoxy putty specific for wood (BALSITE - CTS).

BELL TOWER

The first phase of intervention was carried out on the bell tower to subsequently allow the correct execution of the operations of
consolidation of the belfry. Starting from the top, the copper sphere was cleaned with acetone, subsequently treated with a specific acrylic protective for metal elements (INCRAL44 - CTS) and microcrystalline wax (RESWAX - CTS) and the brossing of the iron cross which was then painted with anti-rust and paint product (FERNOVUS - SARATOGA). We continued by mechanically removing the higher plants by applying a broad spectrum water-based biocide by spraying. Subsequently, the overflowing cement grouting was removed, no longer integral with the structure and therefore no longer functional. Inside the belfry the situation of the plaster was visibly compromised by the infiltrations of the roof which had caused numerous detachments between the various layers until the masonry was exposed, therefore the deteriorated plaster was removed, after which the additions were made with mortars based on hydraulic lime and screened sand (MALTA ANTICA - SILIGRAS). To allow the correct disposal of rainwater from the horizontal surfaces, covers with mortar imitating granite have been prepared, so as not to compromise the aesthetics of the whole. The iron elements, after suitable manual binding with iron brushes, were treated with rust converter  and painted with gray anti-rust enamel, the visible ones, and anti-rust and varnish product. The watches required the revision of the plaster dial to integrate the punctual deficiencies and the veiling of the funds. On the clock on the north façade which, unlike the others, does not have a projecting frame, it has been pictorially re-proposed. At the end of all the operations, the stone surfaces were sprayed with a siloxane-based water- repellent protective agent (SILO 111 - CTS).

PHOTOGRAPHIC ARCHIVE
DURING THE WORK

foto

TECHNICAL DOCUMENTS

tecnico